Mobile menu
Publication

Sobieski Hours

Leaf from the Sobieski 'Book of Hours' ©

Dr Jenny Stratford

With contributions by Jane Roberts

 234 pages

Leaf from the Sobieski 'Book of Hours' ©

The Sobieski Hours is housed in The Royal Library at Windsor Castle.

Illuminated in Paris around 1430, this beautiful book of hours offers one of the finest examples of late Gothic illumination. The manuscript was begun by artists working in the finest style of the Bedford Master, ably assisted by renowned artists known as the Fastolf Master and the Master of the Munich Golden Legend.

The facsimile, published in collaboration with Quaternio Verlag, Lucerne, elegantly reproduces all 234 leaves, which include 60 full-page miniatures and more than 400 richly decorated narrative scenes.

The accompanying commentary volume contains extensive new research on the Sobieski Hours. It is written by Dr Jenny Stratford, a specialist in the age of the Bedford Master, with an introduction by the former Royal Librarian, Jane Roberts and a foreword by His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, Chairman of Royal Collection Trust. It is published in English, French and German.

©