Mobile menu

East Gallery

Architectural sketch of the East Gallery Buckingham Palace

Pennethorne's design for the new East Gallery ©

During her sixty-three year reign, Queen Victoria, with the support and encouragement of Prince Albert, transformed Buckingham Palace into the building we know today. The objects in the following sections trace the history and development of the palace from Queen Victoria’s coronation in 1838, to the completion of her new Ballroom in 1856.

The East Gallery marks the beginning of the Victorian part of Buckingham Palace. It connects Victoria’s new Ballroom and Ball Supper Room with the older section of the palace. It now houses some of the finest Victorian narrative paintings in the Royal Collection, including works depicting Queen Victoria’s coronation, her marriage to Prince Albert, and the christening of Albert Edward, the future Edward VII.