Mobile menu

Building the East Front

By 1845 the lack of private accommodation had become critical. The nursery was too small for Victoria’s growing family. The architect Edward Blore proposed a bold solution; the creation of a fourth wing along the east side of the palace. At Prince Albert’s request, Blore also added a balcony to allow the royal family to gather for public appearances – a tradition that continues today.