Mobile menu
Our sites and phone lines are temporarily closed, but you can browse the Collection online. More info
Trail

A Prince's treasure

120 items return to Brighton Pavilion on loan

In September 2019, 120 items of decorative art and furniture from the Royal Collection returned on loan to Brighton's Royal Pavilion, George IV's extraordinary seaside residence, to be shown where they were displayed after being acquired by the King in the early 1800s.

The contents of the Pavilion were moved to London on the sale of the residence by Queen Victoria in 1850.  On the instruction of Prince Albert, many of the furnishings and fittings from the Royal Pavilion were incorporated into the new spaces at Buckingham Palace, particularly the Chinese-themed interiors of the Centre Room, Yellow Drawing Room and Chinese Dining Room in the East Wing.

Spectacular items returning to the Pavilion for the first time in over 150 years include: the Kylin Clock; four hexagonal, nine-tiered, Chinese porcelain pagodas; a set of vases mounted as oil lamps; and a pair of bottle vases mounted as eight light candelabra. More information on the works will appear here in the coming months.

Learn more on the Royal Pavilion's website

The loan has been made possible due to the complete decant of Royal Collection objects from the East Wing of Buckingham Palace, in order for essential reservicing work to take place.

Short film about the loan ©

The works are arranged room by room below:

Long Gallery

The Gallery contains items connected with George's mother, Queen Charlotte

Banqueting room

The Banqueting room show how George employed the most talented designers

Banqueting room gallery

The Banqueting Room Gallery is where George’s guests would retreat after dinner

Saloon

Featuring the magnificent 'Kylin' clock

The Music Room Gallery

The room reflects George's interest in Chinese interiors

The Music Room

George used this room for entertaining as well as music

The King's Apartments

Only very special guests would have been invited into the King's apartments