Search results

Start typing


Queen Mary's Dolls' House

A guide to Windsor Castle's famous Dolls’ House.

A large dolls house
Queen Mary's Dolls' House (RCIN 231999) ©

Queen Mary's Dolls' House is the largest and most famous dolls' house in the world. Built between 1921 and 1924 for Queen Mary, consort of King George V, by the leading British architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, it contains works from over 1,500 of the finest artists, craftspeople and manufacturers of the early 20th century.

Throughout 2024, we are celebrating the 100th anniversary of Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House. 

Queen Mary's Dolls' House at Windsor Castle (RCIN 231999)©
The Queen's Bedroom in Queen Mary's Dolls' House (RCIN 231999)©

From life below stairs to the royal setting of the saloon and dining room, and from a library bursting with original works by famous literary names of the day, to a fully stocked wine cellar and a garden, no detail was forgotten. Everything in the house was created at a one twelfth scale.

The House was intended to be as true to life as possible. It even includes electricity, running water, and working lifts. Each room is beautifully furnished and waiting to be explored.

This is a miniature mansion such as the King & Queen might live in… in every detail complete.

Sir Edwin Lutyens, letter to Lord Haig in 1923.

Creating the Dolls’ House

The House was the idea of Princess Marie Louise, cousin to King George V and childhood friend of Queen Mary. She decided that the Queen, who loved all things small and decorative, would enjoy the House and it was to become a gift to Queen Mary in the years after the First World War.

The architect was Sir Edwin Lutyens, a friend of the Princess. Between them, they created a committee who decided on the style of the House and ensured that all its contents were of the highest possible quality and all perfectly to scale.

Sir Edwin Lutyens and Queen Mary©

The committee suggested that the House should be a collaborative venture with the cost and labour to be divided between as many people as possible. The completed House was the product of 250 craftspeople and manufacturers, 60 artist-decorators, 700 artists, 600 writers and 500 donors (many still household names today).

The House was shown at the Empire Exhibition at Wembley in 1924 as a showcase for British workmanship. It was displayed at Wembley for seven months and over this period more than 1.5 million people visited it.

In July 1925 it was moved to Windsor Castle, where it was situated in a room designed by Lutyens and where it can be visited today.

Buy the book

Published to celebrate the 100th anniversary The Queen’s Dolls’ House book guides you through the magical miniature house.

The Queen's Dolls' House


Buy now
Watch our film to find out more about the condition checking of Queen Mary's Dolls' House

Explore below to find out more about the rooms of the House.

The King's Bedroom
Royal Chambers

The King's and Queen's suites contain wonderful miniature decorations

Miniature toy merry-go-round with red and white striped cotton canopy with Union flag; from which are suspended six wooden painted horses each with wooden and textile rider. On green painted wooden base containing mechanism and turning hand
Family Life

Rooms are filled with memorabilia of childhood and family life

Saloon and Dining Room

These rooms were laid out to allow entertaining on a grand scale

The Library

170 authors of the day supplied works for the Library

Prints and Paintings

The Dolls' House features over 750 works of art donated by artists

Miniature Singer sewing machine on integrated base of traditional form with hinged compartments (to lower machine), two small drawers and thread compartment at front.  Threaded for use.
Staff Rooms and Essentials

These rooms give an insight into the ordinary life of household staff

The garden
Garden and Garage

The garage stores a fleet of miniature cars and the garden is perfectly manicured

Miniature green glass bottle of vintage champagne (Mumm)
Cellar, Kitchen and Pantry

The Dolls' House has a fully stocked cellar and pantry as well as a kitchen equipped to prepare a banquet

A miniature desk in Queen Mary's Dolls' House
A Dolls' Eye View

Watch our films to see inside some of the rooms of the House.

The income from your ticket contributes directly to The Royal Collection Trust, a registered charity. The aims of The Royal Collection Trust are the care and conservation of the Royal Collection, and the promotion of access and enjoyment through exhibitions, publications, loans and educational activities.