Mobile menu
Welcome back to the royal residences. Find out more about our measures to keep you safe.
Daniel Lang (d. 1635)

Equestrian statuette of Gustavus II Adolphus of Sweden c.1635

Silver, partly gilt | 35.2 x 28.5 x 19.0 cm (whole object) | RCIN 35456

Lantern Lobby, Windsor Castle

Your share link is...

  Close

  • A German silver and parcel gilt equestrian group of Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, the king wearing riding coat with sash, lace collar and breeches, holding a baton in his outstretched right hand, the horse with elaborate harness, rearing on its hind legs.

    The statuette is assembled from 29 individual pieces of silver, all chased to distinguish the different surfaces. When fully assembled it is still possible to remove the horse's head in order that the statuette can function as a drinking vessel. It was made in c.1635 in Augsburg and bears the mark of the goldsmith Daniel Lang, who produced several versions of this popular model. The form derives from a series of bronze statuettes of Habsburg rulers made by the Austrian sculptor Caspar Gras (c.1585-1674), the court sculptor at Innsbruck, a decade earlier. The statuette was in the collection of George III and Queen Charlotte at Buckingham House and Kew; however it may already have been in the collection prior to the reign.

    Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden (1594-1632) was the hero of the Protestant cause during the Thirty Years' War. Considered one of the greatest commanders of the period, Gustavus spent much of his life in warfare, and was named The Golden King and the Lion of the North for his military and political prowess. After his death in 1632, he was widely commemorated in portraits depicting him in the heat of battle.
     
    Struck on rim of foot with city mark of Augsburg and maker's mark of Daniel Lang.
    Provenance

    In the collection of Queen Charlotte. The figure is recorded in a list of objects which were transferred from the Queen's collections at Buckingham House to Carlton House in 1821. (Jutsham's Receipts II, f.123).

    Included in the Pictorial Inventory of 1827-33 – RCIN 934916. The inventory was originally created as a record of the clocks, vases, candelabra and other miscellaneous items from Carlton House, as well as selected items from the stores at Buckingham House, the Royal Pavilion, Brighton, Hampton Court and Kensington Palace for consideration in the refurbishment of Windsor Castle. An annotation of the figure in the Pictorial inventory notes that at this date it was a Kew Palace. It was transferred to Windsor Castle in 1828 and placed in George IV's personal sitting room (Room 200).

  • Medium and techniques

    Silver, partly gilt

    Measurements

    35.2 x 28.5 x 19.0 cm (whole object)

    2875.4 g (Weight) (whole object)

  • Place of Production

    Augsburg [Germany]