Mobile menu

The restoration of Windsor Castle

The Duke of Edinburgh was appointed Ranger of Windsor Great Park in 1952. The position exists to maintain and protect the royal park, and during his time as Ranger the Duke has reintroduced deer to the park, made the park more accessible to the public and opened the Windsor Farm Shop. He is seen here standing in front of the ‘Copper Horse’, the equestrian monument to King George III at the southern end of the Long Walk in the Great Park.

The Duke was Chairman of the Windsor Castle Restoration Committee after the fire in 1992. The restoration project received the Europa Nostra Award, a European Union prize for Cultural Heritage in 1999.