Mobile menu

The Battle of Prestonpans

On 21 September 1745, the Jacobite and government armies met outside the village of Prestonpans, east of Edinburgh. General Sir John Cope, commander of the government forces, had chosen a site for the engagement which gave him a strong advantage. Despite this favourable position, the government artillery fled as the Jacobite army charged, taking the gunpowder with them and leaving the government guns unable to fire. After the defeat, Cope and his troops were forced to retreat to Berwick.