Mobile menu

Four Organ Shutters

In 1606, the Accademia Filarmonica of Verona commissioned Turchi to paint the shutters of an organ, the centrepiece of its newly-built music hall. The figures for the shutters were paired: when closed, one continuous niche was formed with Honour(?) on the left and Virtue(?) on the right. When the shutters were open, Music was on the left and Poetry on the right. Acquired by George III in 1762 from Consul Smith