Mobile menu

A collection displayed at Windsor Castle following the First World War


In 1922 King George V and Queen Mary returned to northern France and Belgium, to view the work of the Imperial War Graves Commission (now the Commonwealth War Graves Commission) which was working to identify and honour the war dead, and inform the families left behind. The royal visit began the tradition of visiting military cemeteries which continues to this day.

View the items below:

Sir Frank Fox (1874-1960)

The King's pilgrimage.

Lady Feodora Gleichen (1861-1922)

Memorial plaques

Soane & Smith : 462 Oxford Street, London

Set of five Toby jugs