Mobile menu

Exotic domes and minarets only hint at the splendours inside

Henry Cephas Lincoln

Organ 1818-55

Painted and gilded maplewood, gilt metal | RCIN 94783

Ballroom, Buckingham Palace

Your share link is...

  Close

Although it has been greatly altered, this organ once stood at the north end of the Music Room at the Royal Pavilion. It was installed in 1818 and was reputedly the largest and most powerful instrument in England. The original case was designed by Crace and was replete with winding serpents and pagoda iconography.  The organ was removed in 1850 when the Pavilion was sold by Queen Victoria and today stands in the Ballroom at Buckingham Palace. Its case was redecorated by Ludwig Grüner for the Ballroom in the 1850s.

  • Creator(s)

    Henry Cephas Lincoln (organ builder)

    Gray & Davison (organ builder)

    Sir James Pennethorne (1801-71) (designer)

    Ludwig Grüner (1801-82) (artist)

    William Theed (1764-1817) (sculptor)

  • Purchased by George IV for the Royal Pavilion, Brighton, then adapted for the ballroom at Buckingham Palace in 1855.

    • Arts, Recreation, Entertainment & Sport
      • Music
        • Musical instruments
          • Keyboard instruments
            • Organs (instrument)
      • Architecture
        • Secular architecture
          • Triumphal arches