Mobile menu

in the collection of Her Majesty The Queen: European Armour

? English

Rowel spur for the left foot about 1630-60

Iron, brass, silver | RCIN 61400

Your share link is...

  Close

Rowel spur for the left foot with a body of russet iron having slender curved sides of D-section with swept figure-of-eight terminals, and a swan-like neck supporting a brass rowel originally of five long, evenly tapered points each with a small lug projecting from each side at its base (one point now missing).

The outer surfaces are encrusted with silver in a trellis pattern originally having a large silver dot in each space (all now very worn). The decoration resembles that commonly found on the hilts of a group of hangers of about 1640-50, thought to be of English manufacture.

Fitted in the left terminal is a plain, rather slender, U-shaped buckle without antennae and, in each of the right ones, an attachment with a small flat-headed button to receive the leather.

Measurements: length of body 10.7 cm, width within the sides 7.0 cm, diameter of rowel 4.9 cm. Weight: 0.088 kg.

Text adapted from Arms and Armour in the Collection of Her Majesty The Queen: European Armour, London, 2016
  • Creator(s)

    ? English (nationality)

    North European (nationality)

  • The spur is listed as no. 2189 in the Carlton House Catalogue of arms and armour (c.1790-1820), with a note that it was presented to the Prince Regent by ‘Mr Baker / Octr 1811 / this Spur was Dug out in a Field near Dorchester Oxford Shire ...’.  'Mr Baker' has not been identified.

    The spur was subsequently sent to Windsor Castle on 28 April 1843, where it was recorded as item no 1998 in the North Corridor Inventory.

    • Arts, Recreation, Entertainment & Sport
      • Decorative motifs
        • Trellis pattern
        • Dots