Mobile menu
Roger Fenton (1819-69)

Balaklava from above the Russian Church Mar 1855

Salted paper print | 26.9 x 35.2 cm | RCIN 2500487

Your share link is...

  Close

Photograph of Balaklava taken from the Russian Church, showing the upper harbour and the Church of Kadikoi in the distance. The Russian Church is in the foreground to the right. The timber dome and roof are exposed and the doors and windows are filled with stones. There are four tents in front of it, and the rooftops of the town are spread out behind. To the left is the upper harbour, where several tall ships are docked. On the hills behind a small military camp can be seen, and the Church of Kadikoi is just visible in the distance.

The town of Balaklava with its port and purpose built railway yard were of strategic significance throughout the Crimean War. The Battle of Balaklava was fought in the countryside around the small village of Kadikoi, just north of Balaklava.