Mobile menu
Welcome back to the royal residences. Find out more about our measures to keep you safe.

The 1992 Windsor Castle fire

The 1992 fire at Windsor Castle was caused by an electric bulb too close to a curtain in the Private Chapel, which occupied a space at the east end of St. George's Chapel. Only a small number of works of art were lost, because electrical rewiring work prior to the incident meant that most of the works been removed from the castle. Staff and contractors escaped with minor injuries. The greatest losses were structural, with some ceilings and interiors entirely burned.