Mobile menu
E. Wolff & Co for Garrards

Queen Mary's Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara 1893

Diamonds and silver | 7.0 x 21.0 x 10.5 cm (whole object) | RCIN 200192

Your share link is...

  Close

This tiara was a wedding present from the ‘Girls of Great Britain and Ireland’ to the Duchess of York, later Queen Mary, in 1893. It was purchased with money raised by a committee chaired by Lady Eva Greville, who became one of Queen Mary’s ladies-in-waiting. In November 1947 Queen Mary gave the tiara as a wedding present to her grand-daughter, Princess Elizabeth. The Queen has worn the tiara regularly throughout her reign and is depicted wearing it on certain issues of British and Commonwealth banknotes and coinage.
  • Creator(s)

    E. Wolff & Co for Garrards (jeweller)

    Wolff, E. & SON (jeweller)

    Garrards (jeweller)

  • 7.0 x 21.0 x 10.5 cm (whole object)

  • Tiara

  • A wedding present for Princess Mary of Teck from the 'Girls of Great Britain and Ireland', purchased with money raised by a committee chaired by Lady Eve Greville. Queen Mary later replaced pearl finials with diamonds and separated the lozenge-pattern bandeau from the base in order for it to be worn as a headband. 

     A wedding gift to HRH Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten on 20 November 1947 on the occasion of their marriage from Queen Mary. The Queen later reunited the tiara and bandeau as one piece.