Mobile menu
Canaletto (Venice 1697-Venice 1768)

Piazza San Marco looking west towards San Geminiano c.1723-4

Oil on canvas | 134.6 x 173.0 cm | RCIN 405935

Your share link is...

  Close

The church of San Geminiano and the west side of the Piazza were demolished by Napoleon in 1807. Canaletto first painted the Procuratie Nuove extending up to the left edge, as in the drawing, but then added the Campanile and Loggetta over it.
  • Creator(s)

    Canaletto (Venice 1697-Venice 1768) (artist)

  • [crown]/ GIVR/ [...number..] ; {black paint inventory number stencilled on back of canvas support to painting; sometimes cut out and mounted onto stretcher (lining?)}846

  • 134.6 x 173.0 cm (support, canvas/panel/str external)

    164.4 x 198.9 x 15.5 cm (frame, external)

  • Piazza S. Marco towards S. Geminiano

  • Joseph Smith; from whom bought by George III

    • Places
      • Europe
        • Italy
          • Veneto [Italy]
            • Venice [Veneto]
              • Piazza San Marco [Venice]
                • St Mark's Basilica [Piazza San Marco]
                • Procuratie Nuove [Piazza San Marco]
                • St Mark's Campanile [Piazza San Marco]
                  • Loggetta [Venice]