Mobile menu

The Wedding

©

On the wedding morning, The Queen and Princess Margaret left Buckingham Palace for the Abbey in the Glass Coach and Queen Mary departed from Marlborough House. The newly created Duke of Edinburgh, on whom the King had also conferred the style of Royal Highness and the Order of the Garter, left Kensington Palace with his Groomsman, the Marquess of Milford Haven, passing a chimneysweep for luck.

At 11:16 precisely, the King and Princess Elizabeth set off from the Palace in the Irish State Coach. The escort of Life Guards wore full-dress uniforms for the first time since 1939. On her arrival at the Abbey, the Princess was joined by her bridesmaids and page boys and the procession entered the Abbey to Parry's Bridal March.

The Princess's wedding ring was made from Welsh gold from the same nugget used to make The Queen's ring. At the conclusion of the ceremony the Princess signed the register using a gold pen, presented to her by the Chartered Institute of Secretaries. The bride and bridegroom left the Abbey to Mendelssohn's Wedding March.