Mobile menu
An oil painting of a garden party at Buckingham Palace. Queen Victoria and Alexandra, Princess of Wales are returning to the Palace in an open carriage pulled by two grey horses; in the garden, on the left, the Prince of Wales is conversing to a couple in

Their history, form and function

Paul Sandby (1731-1809)

The Norman Gateway and Moat Garden, Windsor Castle c. 1770

RCIN 914535

Your share link is...

  Close

By the last quarter of the eighteenth century, the ditch on the northern side of the Round Tower, sheltered from the elements by a high wall, was cultivated as a pleasure garden. The bottom of the ditch was laid to lawn, with a circular bed attended here by a gardener and a low retaining wall to the right at the bottom of the mound with more plants and shrubs occupying the slopes. The garden belonged to the occupant of the apartments in the Norman Tower, the building in the background, which was home to the Castle Housekeeper Lady Mary Churchill. It is unusual to find a watercolour where a gardener, recognised here by his wide brimmed hat as well as the activity he is undertaking, is the main subject in such a view.