Mobile menu
An oil painting of a garden party at Buckingham Palace. Queen Victoria and Alexandra, Princess of Wales are returning to the Palace in an open carriage pulled by two grey horses; in the garden, on the left, the Prince of Wales is conversing to a couple in

Their history, form and function

Joseph Nash Jnr (d.1922)

Clarence House: The garden front dated 1861

RCIN 919727

Your share link is...

  Close

Queen Victoria’s mother, the Duchess of Kent, lived at Clarence House next to St. James’s Palace from 1840 until her death in March 1861. The watercolour depicts the house and the north west corner of the garden in 1861, probably following her death. Built as a home for the Duke of Clarence (later William IV) and his wife Adelaide from 1825 to 1827, access to the garden on the south side of St James’s Palace only became possible during the Duchess of Kent’s tenure, when she installed the door and entrance porch seen here, at the end of a ground floor corridor. She also added a small conservatory, which occupied the room behind the three windows immediately to the left of the door. The plants and flowers are just visible through the open windows. This urban garden is depicted during the summer, a deep border of shrubs, plants and flowers obscures the tall wall that borders the garden. A roller, used for firming the top soil of a lawn and keeping it flat, has been left on the path, while a rake, broom and basket lie on the large expanse of lawn, still a feature of the garden today.