Mobile menu
An oil painting of a garden party at Buckingham Palace. Queen Victoria and Alexandra, Princess of Wales are returning to the Palace in an open carriage pulled by two grey horses; in the garden, on the left, the Prince of Wales is conversing to a couple in

Their history, form and function

Paul Sandby (1731-1809)

Castle Hill looking towards the Devil's Tower c. 1765

RCIN 914568

Your share link is...


Sandby’s watercolour view depicts a coach and horse stopped on the public road that winds up Castle Hill around 1765, with the Devil’s Tower (now Edward III tower) straight ahead. This road existed until 1823 when George IV ordered the closure of the path from the southeastern corner of the castle to the river crossing at Datchet, sending it further to the south through Park Street.

By the time that the architect Sir Jeffry Wyatville had finished his alterations to the castle in the 1820s, this roadway culminated in St George’s Gateway. The Round Tower to the left was raised in height, and the buildings seen here on the right, previously purchased in 1779, had all been cleared. During the latter part of the twentieth century, the main use of this area was as a car park. The Jubilee Garden was created on this site as a more attractive entrance to the castle for visitors.