Mobile menu
We are welcoming visitors to our sites again. Read more about our measures to keep everyone safe
This is one of a pair of paintings (see CWLF 127, 406900) depicting a collector surrounded by his possessions and an physician in his laboratory. Both works consciously perpetuate the tradition of David Teniers, who specialised in alchemists and collector

Objects and paintings illustrating the changing perception and use of medicine

Burroughs Wellcome & Co. : London

Medicine chest 1922-23

RCIN 230372

Your share link is...

  Close

This is a medicine chest in miniature made for Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House, the largest and most famous dolls’ house in the world, designed and built by Sir Edwin Lutyens between 1921 and 1924 for Queen Mary and today on permanent display at Windsor Castle. The box is less than a centimetre high and only 1.5 cm wide. It has 12 compartments, each with a glass bottle of medicines and cork stoppers. Some of the bottles even contain tiny tablets. The maker, Burroughs, Wellcome and Co., were suppliers of medicine chests to explorers, expeditions and to royalty.